Medical Assistance, also known as Medicaid, and sometimes referred to as MA, pays for health care services for eligible individuals
How to Apply for Medical Assistance
There are a couple of different ways to apply for Medical Assistance, please choose the option that suits you. If you do not know if you are eligible, you may still apply.
1. You can apply for or renew your Medical Assistance benefits online by using COMPASS. COMPASS is the name of the website where you can apply for Medical Assistance and many other services that can help you make ends meet.
2. You can also apply for Medical Assistance by contacting your local county assistance office.
3. Or, you can download an application form to send to your county assistance office. If you need help completing the application form, a county assistance office staff member can help you. Click on the link to download an application. Application for cash assistance, SNAP and Medical Assistance Benefits (PDF download)
Solicitud para recibir beneficios (Solicitud para recibir beneficios; PDF transferencia directa)
What if I am not eligible for Medical Assistance?
Contact your county assistance office and a trained staff member will determine what programs may be available to you.
Or you may explore these links to learn about additional health care programs available in Pennsylvania.
- Dental Services
- Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening and Treatment
- Healthy Beginnings for Pregnant Women
- Mental Health/Behavioral Health Services
- Medicare Part D Drug Coverage Information
- AIDS/HIV Information and Services
- Special Pharmaceutical Benefits Program
- Family Planning Services
- SelectPlan for Women
- Help with Medical Appointments if your English is Limited
- Sign Language Interpreter Services for Medical Appointments
- Substance Abuse Services
- Office of Long-Term Living
- Long Term Care Services
- Long Term Living in PA
- Get a Ride to the Doctor: Medical Assistance Transportation Program
- Special Kids Network
- SelectPlan for Women Provider Search
- Medical Assistance Eligibility Handbook
- Long Term Care Handbook
What kind of care is available through Medical Assistance?
Physical Health Options
Mental Health/Substance Abuse Services Options