If you do not earn enough money to support yourself or your family, or if you cannot work because of a disability, you may be eligible to receive cash assistance.
How to Apply: You can apply for or renew your cash assistance benefits online by using COMPASS. COMPASS is the name of the website where you can apply for cash and many other services that can help you make ends meet.
Learn more about the five main cash assistance programs below.
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Diversion Program
- General Assistance Program
- State Blind Pension Program
- Refugee Cash Assistance Program
If you have questions about cash assistance, you can call your local county assistance office or make a free phone call to the HelpLine at 1-800-692-7462 If you have trouble finding the information you need, please use: Contact DPW
1-800-451-5886, TDD number for individuals with hearing impairments
- Frequently Asked Questions about Cash Assistance Programs
Employment Training and Opportunities
- CWDS: Commonwealth Workforce Development System
- Non-Civil Service Jobs – General Information
- Exploring Employment Opportunities through the PA Civil Service
- Cash Assistance Policy Handbook
- Supplemental Policy Handbook
- OIM Statistical Reports
Caseload Reduction Reports (ACF-202) for Fiscal Year 2008 (PDF download)